Wednesday 19 February 2014

Enhance your Productivity - ‘Don’t Check Your Email First Thing in the Morning!’

I know what you did this morning...

Don’t worry – I’m not a stalker!  I bet I know what you did when you got into the office this morning after you took your coat off, got a nice cuppa, had a chat with your colleagues and then turned your computer on.  You checked your email, didn’t you?

Why did you do that?  Have you ever questioned why you check your email first thing in the morning?  Probably not.  I didn’t.  I was as ‘guilty’ as you of this habit.  But research and studies show that doing just that has a detrimental effect on your productivity.  Frequently checking your email throughout the day can also inhibit how much you get done.   

The following ‘good practice’* with email is based not just on research, studies and advice from experts in productivity, but also on my experiences and trial and error.  Not checking my email as soon as I start the working day has had a profound effect on what I focus on and what I get done in the morning.  So much so, I feel so chuffed with my output in the morning, that it sets a lovely tone and mood for the rest of my day! 

[* - Note that I used the term ‘good practice’ and not ‘best practice’.  I believe that there is no best practice in how you work and how you can improve your productivity, output and indeed your job satisfaction.  What might be ‘best practice’ for me, might not work so well for you.  Also, you may adapt and improve on a technique I have written about below that you find works much better for you.  As with all articles on ‘top tips’ and advice, treat it like a buffet – pick n’ mix what you think are good ideas, try it and then consume more of what works best (or indeed spit out what you don’t like – although I try not to do that in public at buffets…another top tip!)]


In a future blog article, I’m going to share some advice on how to deal with ‘Email Overload’ and a process to clearing out, and keeping clear, a daunting inbox full of tens, if not hundreds, of emails.  But in the meantime, with so many demands on your time and with multiple people wanting your attention, it’s no wonder you feel the urge to see what your email inbox has in store for you when you get into the office.  But try to resist this urge!  Here’s why…

We check our email way too often – not just in the morning.  A survey of over 2,200 workers in the UK and USA painted an unhappy picture of the obsession many people have with their email. 

Office workers now feel more compelled to check email outside of work to keep up and advance their careers. A fifth of Brits who check email outside of business hours do so because they feel they are expected to provide quick responses, even outside regular business hours.  But someone sending an email does not usually expect a quick response (see results of another survey of over 3,500 people below).  Almost half would like a response within a day.  If they wanted a rapid answer to an issue, they would have called you or come over to your office.  So, do you really need to check your email as soon as you get to work?

Survey: “When Do You Expect Email Replies?

“I expect a reply within 10 minutes. I know they've gotten the email, so they should respond right away” - 3%

“Sometime within 30 minutes. Don't interrupt your flow, but get back to me ASAP” – 7%

“I can wait about an hour; I've got other stuff to do too. Just get back to me sooner rather than later” – 9%

“As long as they respond within a few hours, I'm happy. If it were that urgent, I could walk over to them or call them” - 27%

“I expect an answer within the day. Any longer than that, and I have no way of knowing if they even got it” - 48%

Other - 6%

Even though almost half of us don’t expect a response so quickly, paradoxically 45% of us are afraid to go without checking their email because they might miss something important.  In fact, 14% of the respondents to the survey who check work email outside of regular business hours cited that they do work email either before they get out of bed in the morning or while in bed before they fall asleep at night!  It’s clear that many people are becoming obsessed with checking email first thing in the morning.  But this bad habit will probably make you work less effectively.

Why?  It boils down to this: if you start going through your inbox first thing in the morning, you lose any chance you had of going full steam ahead on your important project or task of the morning.  You immediately start the working day by distracting yourself with everyone else's needs. 

As soon as you get to your desk, work on something important for 30-45 minutes (discuss with your boss what this is if you’re not sure), and only then check your email.  If you can stand it, wait even longer. Some days I personally don't check email at all until after lunch...and I have a iPhone where I can receive emails 24/7 wherever I am! 

As long as you're ignorant of everything else that's going on outside, you can concentrate on what you want to work on – and what’s important for you and your job role.  You don't know what fires need to be put out that you can’t affect anyway, you don't know about that the cakes that are in the kitchen, and you don't know about that funny video your colleague sent you.

In general, you should already identify what you need to work on when you start your day. If you start checking email, you will move to one of a million other things that supposedly need your attention instead, when they're probably less important.



Managing Expectations – letting others know

If what you have just read resonates with you and you are going to try not checking emails first thing in the morning, then it is a good idea to let others know what you are doing – especially your boss (if you have one)!  Your office is probably very close to them and so you might have already got a system in place to deal with urgent issues – usually the one that involves him or her barging in! 

To help control their email impulse in the morning, some people have adopted the discipline of checking their emails at set times during the day – e.g. at 11am and 4pm.  This is an example of ‘batching’ tasks (performing like tasks at set times, between which you let them accumulate), and your success with batching will depend on two factors:

1. Your ability to train others to respect these intervals and, much more difficult,
2. Your ability to discipline yourself to follow your own rules

As well as your boss, you might want to let others know of your new way of working with regards to email.  Just like any other way of communication, doing this face-to-face is often the best way so you can explain what you are doing and why.  You might even convince this other person to try it themselves!

Some people let others know through their email auto-responder (the ‘out of office’ message system).  An example auto-responder, which you can tailor to your requirements, is:

“Thank you for your email.  In an effort to increase productivity and efficiency, I am trying out a new personal email policy.  I am only checking emails at 11am and 4pm.  If you need anything immediately, please call me on 01555 555555 so that I can address this important matter with you. Thank you.   ~ Sue”

Be mindful that this out-of-office message will to everyone who sends you an email – unless your particular email system can send different messages to people within your business and other emails coming from outside.  You might not want people from other organisations knowing you are doing this.  In which case, you can just send a memo to those people that you would like to inform of your new email checking policy.  An example memo is:

“Dear all,

In an effort to increase productivity and efficiency, I am beginning a new personal email policy. I’ve recently realised that I spend more time shuffling through my inbox and less time focused on the task at hand. It has become an unnecessary distraction that ultimately creates longer lead times on my ever-growing ‘to do’ list.

Going forward I will only be checking/responding to email at 11am and 4pm on weekdays. I will try and respond to email in a timely manner. 

If you need an immediate time-sensitive response, please don’t hesitate to call me on 01555 555555 or pop into the office.

Hopefully this new approach to email management will result in shorter lead-times with more focused and productive work on my part.

Kind regards,

Sue”
-o-


Remember that all of the above are just options in the ‘buffet’.  They have worked for myself and many others, and they could do so for you as well.  You don’t have to be so drastic and do all of the above at once.  You could start by just checking your emails less frequently.  Try it and see!  

No comments:

Post a Comment